Social Services Caseworker at Casa de Amigos
JOB SUMMARY: Provides social services casework and support to clients of Casa de Amigos. Duties will include, but not be limited to, those described in the purpose and specific duties listed below.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Interviews clients confidentially in order to determine problems, needs, resources, etc.
• Respond to clients in crisis situations.
• Conducts research necessary to help families resolve problems including home visits and phone calls, follow-up work, advocacy, and appropriate referrals.
• Uses Agency Cross Check to help coordinate services with community resources.
• Makes decisions concerning Casa de Amigos’ involvement in individual cases; consult with supervisor or other appropriate staff as necessary for input and guidance.
• Dispenses discretionary assistance (clothing, food, financial assistance, etc.) as appropriate to “helping people help themselves”.
• Assist client with determining goals.
• Assist client in determining support systems.
• With the client, develop plans to improve clients' situation and goal attainment in line with Casa de Amigos mission of “helping people help themselves”.
• Conducts regular follow up with clients to encourage, assist and mentor in order to promote achievement of goals.
• Coordinate Social Service Events (School supply drive, Thanksgiving and Christmas giveaways, etc.).
• Maintains accurate and current program records and statistics; submits monthly program reports.
• Assist with Donations (accept and sort for programs or other areas as needed).
• Assist with Community Service Volunteers; interviewing, assigning tasks and monitoring. Determine appropriate inter-agency referrals in line with “helping people help themselves”.
• Coordinates with Development Director for public relations and outreach.
• Other tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
• Active Listening-Giving full attention to what others are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
• Social Perceptiveness-Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
• Able to convey information effectively through speaking.
• Effective time management.
• Actively looking for ways to help people.
• Complex Problem Solving-Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Critical Thinking-Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Judgment and Decision Making-Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
• Personable and trustworthy.
• Communicates clearly and effectively in writing.
• Maintains client confidentiality.
• Team player and community builder.
• Detail oriented.
• Basic computer skills (Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
• Knowledge of community resources.
• Public speaking ability for agency promotions.
HOURS: 40 hours per week. May include some evening/weekend time.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Family Studies, Psychology, Social Work or other social service field preferred.
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to Tonya Eckert, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org