Prevention Specialist (Midland) at Permian Basin Regional Council on Alcohol & Drug Abuse
(Two Openings Available!)
The Prevention Specialist is responsible for the delivery of prevention selective, universal or indicated programs designated under Impact Youth. These programs include curriculum-based support groups and life skills education for children, adolescents and families. Programs under Impact Youth also include the delivery of parent education, to increase positive parenting and reinforcement skills to enhance and strengthen parent-child relationships.
• Learn and thoroughly understand the philosophy of the Council, its programs and services and resources available for children and families.
• Recruit with local schools and community resources to acquaint them with the Council’s prevention education program continuum and establishes sites for curriculum-based support groups or classroom life skills/youth support groups.
• Provide presentations to engage schools, teachers, counselors and community members in participating in prevention programs.
• Facilitate Drug Prevention Curriculum Education evidenced-based model prevention programs.
• Facilitate and coordinate prevention education to parents and adults.
• Assist with the development of prevention strategies to provide prevention skills and education, information dissemination, alternative activities, problem identification and referral, community-based process, and environmental changes through effective programming.
• Conduct and facilitate informational prevention presentations and public speaking regarding substance abuse and other related issues program target population.
• Participate in alternative activities in the schools, community centers and in the community.
• Actively attend community coalition meeting related to preventing drug and alcohol abuse with youth and adults.
• Attends team and staff meetings and works with Program Coordinator on process, outcome evaluation and the development of activities to meet program goals.
• Provides advocacy and referral services to fill the needs of participants not met by PBRCADA prevention services.
• Provides both written and oral monthly reports concerning program activities and evaluation information to the Prevention Program Coordinator.
• Prepare and complete a monthly, a quarterly and an annual report by the deadline.
• Follow organization and funding requirements for documents.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred in the field of psychology, education, social and/or human services, or public health preferred;
• A minimum of one (1) year demonstrated experience in conducting presentations, group facilitation, training, or teaching adults and adolescents
• A minimum of one (1) years demonstrated experience in working with children, parents and families.
• Certified Prevention Specialist Preferred or Associate Prevention Specialist (APS) to be completed within 18 months of employment
• Knowledge of Substance Abuse Education
• Demonstrated knowledge of community-based social and human services systems.
• Demonstrated knowledge of chemical dependency, prevention/intervention concepts and strategies, children and family systems.
• Experience working with culturally diverse populations.
• Ability to work some nights and weekends
• Working knowledge and understanding of HHS guidelines a plus.
• Excellent Oral, Written, and Case Management Skills required.
• Must be able to lift, pull, and carry up to 30 lbs.
• Must have reliable transportation and provide your own transportation to and from schools and community assignments.
• Must be able to work occasional outdoor activities and handle outdoor environmental elements.
• Must be willing to work nights and weekends when needed.
In addition to the above, the Prevention Specialist shall demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and goals of the Permian Basin Regional Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse and a level of energy commensurate with the Council’s expectations.
How To Apply
Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to PBRCADA Mellessa Brenem, 120 E. 2nd St, Odessa TX 79761. Please note in Subject Line “Midland Prevention Staff”