Executive Director at Kaleidoscope Ministries
OVERVIEW The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of Kaleidoscope Ministries according to the strategic direction set by the Kaleidoscope Board of Directors (“Board”). The Executive Director should be a servant leader, follower of Jesus and model building intentional relationships in all aspects of the position.
CORE VALUES Deep dependence in Christ. Model Christ-like behavior. Humility. Excellence in work.
1. Be in agreement with the Kaleidoscope Ministries Statement of Belief.
2. Willingness to abide by the policies of Kaleidoscope Ministries.
3. Maintain compliance with all state and federal laws.
4. Wholeheartedly support Kaleidoscope’s vision and direction and able to accurately convey it to others.
5. Excellent organizational and relational skills with a track record of developing people
6. Personal characteristics desired: Spiritually mature, achievement oriented, big picture & detailed oriented, change leader, persuasive in communications, innovative, critical and forward thinker. Must have ability to produce results through a team approach.
7. Team player attitude.
8. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
9. Proven ability to effectively lead, inspire and manage people and projects required.
10. Exhibit high quality interpersonal skills on a consistent basis.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES The Executive Director performs some or all of the following:
● Participate with the Board in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization
● Identify, assess, and inform the Board of internal and external issues that affect the organization
● Act as a professional advisor to the Board on all aspects of the organization's activities, including communicating with the Board regarding organization matters as requested by the Board
● Foster effective team work between the Board and the Executive Director and between theExecutive Director and staff
● Act as a spokesperson for the organization, along with Board Chairman, including official correspondence
● Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization's community profile
● Prepare and present an organization budget on an annual basis for approval by the Board Internal Leadership
● Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization
● Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its clients, Board and donors
● Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization
● Working with Kaleidoscope Staff to set goals for specific areas of Kaleidoscope
Program Planning and Management
● Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization's programs and services
● Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization's mission and reflect the priorities of the Board
● Overseeing Kaleidoscope staff in the delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality
● Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects
Human Resources Management and Operations Oversight
● Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery
● Oversee the implementation of the organization policies, procedures and practices and conduct a review of the same on an annual basis and recommend changes as appropriate
● Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all applicable state and federal law
● Work with the Kaleidoscope Staff to recruit, interview and select staff that have the technical and personal abilities to help further the organization's mission
● Ensure that all staff receives an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided
● Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review
● Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance
● Discipline and terminate staff when necessary using appropriate techniques in compliance with state and federal law
Financial Planning/Management and Fundraising
● Work with staff and the Board to prepare a comprehensive budget
● Lead efforts to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization
● Research funding sources, develop fund raising plans and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization
● Participate in fundraising activities as appropriate
● Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed and comply with applicable laws
● Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization
● Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditures of the organization; approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board
● Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization
● Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, donors, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization
● Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization's people (clients, staff, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, image and reputation and implement measures to control risks
● Ensure that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage
● Ensure that the Board of Directors and Kaleidoscope staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage
● University degree in a related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/voluntary organizations
● Knowledge of state and federal law applicable to non-profit organizations
● Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization
● Knowledge of human resources management, financial management, literacy, project management and fundraising
● Word processing and data management software including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
● Financial management
Personal Characteristics The Executive Director should demonstrate competence in the following areas:
● Follower of Jesus: A devoted disciple of Jesus Christ. Responsible to be a follower of Christ, exhibiting a godly lifestyle that inspires follower-ship.
● Missional mindset: A commitment to living out the biblical mandate of Mathew 28 in all aspects of life.
● Incarnational leader: Answers if called to live in Southeast Midland
● Strong sense of call
● Humility, servant leader, viewing oneself as just in need of the Gospel as those Kaleidoscope is serving.
● Previous cross-cultural ministry experience required, must be able to relate cross-culturally
● Sense of humor
● Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
● Integrity: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
● Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive and respectful working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
● Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
● Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
● Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
● Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
● Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
● Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
● Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
● Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
● Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
● Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization.
● 5 or more years of management experience in a dynamic organization
● Previous cross-cultural ministry experience
● Executive Directors usually work in an office environment, but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces.
● Executive Directors work a standard work week, but will often work evenings and weekends to accommodate activities such as Board meetings and representing the organization at public events.
● Incarnational presence is required
How To Apply
To apply send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org