Client Advocate at Midland Rape Crisis and Children's Advocacy Center
POSITION: CLIENT ADVOCATE
REPORTS TO: CAC PROGRAM DIRECTOR GENERAL
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direction of the CAC Program Director, the Client Advocate has primary responsibility for providing victim advocacy, accompaniment, follow-up, information/referral, and support services to primary and secondary victims of sexual assault, sexual abuse, incest and their non-offending family members. Participate in community interactions which promote visibility and awareness of the programs and services of the Midland Rape Crisis and Children’s Advocacy Center. Understand the purpose and function of the Midland Rape Crisis Center and is knowledgeable of all existing policy and procedures.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: Victim Services
• Provide liaison and follow-up services to clients of the Midland Rape Crisis and Children’s Advocacy Center.
• Inform clients of the progress of their case through the criminal and civil court system.
• Inform clients of their rights, Victim’s Compensation Act, Texas VINE, privileges, and rules of confidentiality. Help clients fill out and complete the Victim’s Compensation forms and track their results through the system.
• Provide crisis intervention services when needed at the hospital, law enforcement agencies, or District Attorney’s Office in addition to the Center offices.
• Work after hours as needed when volunteers are unavailable or request assistance. Forensic Interviews and Child Protection Team
• Use established protocol to conduct forensic interviews with children or developmentally delayed adults who are alleged victims of abuse or witnesses to violent crimes.
• Attend and participate in multidisciplinary team meetings in Midland and Andrews.
• Make any necessary recommendations regarding needed follow-up for the child and the family.
• Liaison between Law Enforcement, District Attorney, County Attorney, the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, Midland Memorial Hospital, MRCCAC Therapists, and other community agencies as needed.
• Input appropriate information into program databases.
• Keep abreast of new research and developments in forensic interviewing of child abuse victims.
• Work on 24-hour call for emergency interviews/staffings. Court Testimony Testify in criminal/juvenile/civil court when subpoenaed Coordination and Administration
• Attend multidisciplinary team meetings in Midland and Andrews, Victim’s Coalition meeting, agency staffing, CAC Program staffing, and personal supervision meetings.
• Attend other meetings and in-services, professional training and conferences as self-directed or requested by CAC Program Director or Executive Director.
• Participate in improved collaboration efforts with community agencies.
• Maintain case files, statistical reports, etc…
• Work with the CAC Program Director to develop and carry out evaluation procedures
• Assist the CAC Program Director/MRCCAC Board in fundraising efforts as needed
• Perform other duties as directed by the CAC Program Director or Executive Director
EDUCATION: A baccalaureate degree is required in a social work field which relates to the mission and objectives of the Midland Rape Crisis and Children’s Advocacy Center.
• Understanding of child development, child sexual abuse, and forensic linguistics.
• Understanding of the law and the legal system and implications related to interviewing children.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Experience working with diverse professionals from child protection, law enforcement, court systems and related community services.
• Experience in needs assessment of victims and families and identification of appropriate referrals.
• Ability to effectively organize a variety of tasks and deal with a wide variety of people.
• Proven ability to work with all victims of sexual assault, sexual abuse, and child abuse without bias or prejudice regarding prostitution, drug abuse, abortion, use of alcohol, differences in abilities, age, race, color, sexual orientation, creed or religious affiliation.